The strategy summarises actions to reduce emissions from domestic burning, clearly identifying there is no intention to ban wood burning stoves. Here are the key points:
- Legislate to prohibit sale of the most polluting fuels.
- Ensure that only the cleanest stoves are available for sale by 2022.
- Give new powers to local authorities to take action in areas of high pollution, bringing legislation into the 21st century with more flexible, proportionate enforcement powers.
- Work with industry to identify an appropriate test standard for new solid fuels entering the market.
- Ensure that consumers understand what they can do to reduce their impact from burning.
The strategy also suggests DEFRA will give local authorities powers to go further in areas of high pollution, for example exploring what further steps government can take to enable local authorities to encourage ‘no burn days’ during high-pollution episodes.
The English Chimneypiece